Here are some more images of Bronco models 1/35 scale T-17 Armored Car Staghound. From Wikipedia"
The T17 and the T17E1 were two American armored car designs produced during the Second World War. Neither saw service with frontline US forces but the latter was supplied, via the United Kingdom, to British and Commonwealth forces during the war and received the service name Staghound. A number of countries used the Staghound after the war, with some of the vehicles continuing to serve into the 1980s.
In July 1941, the US Army Ordnance issued specifications for a medium armored car alongside a specification for heavy armored car (which resulted in the T18 Boarhound). Ford Motor Company built a six wheels, all driven (6 x 6) prototype which was designated T17 and Chevrolet a four wheels, all driven (4 x 4) model designated T17E1. At the same time, the British Purchasing Commission was also looking for medium and heavy armored cars for use in the war in North Africa. Had the U.S. adopted this, it would have been called the M6.
Both the T17 and T17E used the same turret which was designed by Rock
island Arsenal with British requirements driving some of the design
features such as putting at least two crew in the turret and placing the
radio in the turret so that it was close to the commander.
The T17 was armed with a 37 mm gun in a rotating turret, a coaxial machine gun
and a bow machine gun. Power was from two Hercules JXD engines. In the
interests of standardization, these replaced Ford's initial 90 hp
The British gave the name Deerhound to the T17. Production started in October 1942. The US military eventually decided to adopt the lighter M8 Greyhound
vehicle instead; as an interim measure T17 production continued until
M8 production could be started. These were to be supplied as
"International Aid" but US Army tests in early 1943 showed the T17 was
lacking compared to the T17E and so Britain turned them down. The 250
units produced were disarmed and given to the United States Army Military Police Corps for use in the States.
The British allocated the name Staghound to the T17E series.
British liaison officers had had contact with Macpherson, the Chevrolet
engineer in charge of the project and felt they had influenced him
sufficiently to produce something that met all their requirements.
Accordingly in December the British Purchasing Commission "formally
requested" production of 300 vehicles; the US Army authorized production
of 2000 in January 1942. The British order was confirmed in March 1942
when the pilot T17E was delivered to the Aberdeen Proving Ground. Testing showed flaws but these were expected to be correctable and a further 1,500 were contracted for.
Production started in October 1942. The US Army convened a board to
examine the state of the multitude of armored car projects and
recommended in December 1942 the cancellation of the larger designs and
standardization on a smaller vehicle. This lighter vehicle would appear
as the M8 Greyhound
vehicle. However the British applied for T17E1 production to be
continued for the United Kingdom under Lend-Lease. Approximately 4,000
Staghounds were produced in total.
The Staghound was an innovative design that incorporated some
advanced features. It had two rear-facing 6-cylinder engines with
automatic transmissions (with 4 forward and 1 reverse gears) feeding
through a transfer case to drive both axles. Either two- or four-wheel
drive could be selected. Either engine could be shut down while in
motion and taken out of the drive train. Additionally, a power steering
pump was incorporated that could be switched on or off manually from the
driver's instrument panel depending on steering conditions. Steering
and suspension components were directly attached to the hull as the
structure was rigid enough to dispense with the need for a separate
The Staghound entered service too late for use in the North African Campaign where its combination of armor, range and main armament would have been an advantage in a light forces reconnaissance role.
As a result, it first saw operational service in Italy, where many
units found its large physical size too restrictive in the narrow roads,
and streets of Europe. It saw most service at squadron and regimental
an armoured car regiment having three Staghounds with the Regimental HQ
and three with each HQ of the four squadrons in the regiment.
Conditions for the Staghound improved when the Italian campaign became
more mobile in the middle of 1944, and the Staghound was also used in
north-west Europe campaign.
After the war, the Staghounds were distributed among smaller NATO countries in Europe and to the Middle East.