Here are some more images of Trumpeters 1/24 scale Messerschmidt BF 109 G-6 early version. This aircraft was flown by Ltn.Elias Kuhlein of JG 51 1943 Yugoslavia.This was a great model to build and a well detailed one to boot.Plus those eyes make it look really cool.
The G series, or "Gustav",
was introduced in mid-1942; its initial variants (G-1 through G-4)
differed only in minor details from the Bf 109F, most notably in being
powered by the more powerful 1475 PS DB 605 engine. Odd numbered variants were built with a pressurised cockpit and GM-1
boost as high altitude fighters, while even numbered variants were
non-pressurized air superiority fighters and fighter bombers. Long-range
variants also existed. The later G series (G-5 through G-14) was
produced in a multitude of variants, with uprated armament and provision
for a number of kits of pre-packaged parts known as Umrüst-Bausätze, usually contracted to Umbau and given a "/U" suffix. Field kits known as Rüstsätze
were also available for the G-series but those did not change the
aircraft designation. By early 1944 tactical requirements resulted in
the addition of MW-50 water injection boost and high performance superchargers,
boosting engine output to 1,800-2,000 PS. From early 1944 a number of
G-2s, G-3s, G-4s and G-6s were converted to two seat trainers, known as
the G-12. The instructor's cockpit was added behind the original
cockpit and both were covered by an elongated, glazed canopy.
In February 1943, the G-6 was introduced with the 13 mm
(.51 in) MG 131s, replacing the smaller 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 17 –
externally this resulted in two sizeable Beule blisters over the
gun breeches, reducing speed by 9 km/h (6 mph). Over 12,000 examples
were built well into 1944 although contradictory factory and RLM records
do not allow an exact tally. The G-5 with a pressurized cockpit was identical to the G-6. A total of 475 examples were built between May 1943 and August 1944. The G-5/AS
was equipped with a DB 605AS engine for high-altitude missions.
GM-1-boosted G-5 and G-6 variants received the additional designation of
"/U2". and were clearly identifyable as they use a modified, aerodynamically cleaner, engine cowl without the usual blisters.
The G-6/U4 variant was armed with a 30 mm (1.18 in) MK 108 cannon mounted as a Motorkanone firing through the propeller hub instead of the 20 mm MG 151/20
The G-6 was very often seen during 1943 fitted with assembly sets, used
to carry bombs or a drop tank, for use as a night fighter, or to
increase firepower by adding rockets or extra gondola guns.