Translate

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Black Widow








Here are some images of Monogram's 1/48 scale Northrop P 61 Black Widow (cue Alice Cooper song!) (actually I used to raise spiders). Anyway back to the aircraft. From Wikipedia "The Northrop P 61 Black Widow was the first operational U.S. military aircraft designed specifically to use radar. The "Black Widow" was an all-metal, twin-engine,twin boom, aircraft flown as a night fighter by United States Army Air force squadrons in the European theater, the Pacific theater, the CBI theater, and the Mediterranean theater during WWII. It replaced earlier British-designed night-fighter aircraft that had been updated to incorporate radar when it became available. On the night of 14 August 1945, a P-61B-2 of the 548th NFS named "Lady in the Dark" was unofficially credited with the last Allied air victory before VJ day.

4 comments:

Arkonbey said...

Oooo, nice. OOB, too! No shots of the cockpit interior for us? Monogram had some nicely detailed interiors back in the day ( for not a lot of money). I think the P-61 was the best of them.

I've got one sitting on my shelf that was built early in my return to modeling. I may revisit it.

Lone Star Models is releasing an F-15 Reporter firebomber conversion kit. That would be a pretty cool bird. +$30 cool? I'm not sure, yet ;)

-Warren Zoell said...

I did take pictures of the interior but the photos were not up to standard so I did not use them. I still have them though.

Andrea said...

Raising spiders?! Glad you are modeling now! These are all so awesome - my son is in awe checking out every entry.

-Warren Zoell said...

Andrea- I'm glad to hear your Son has taken an interest in model building. I feel more kids should be taking up this art form, it can teach them everything from design to history to dexterity and attention to detail. Plus they're cool.