Translate

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Patton












Here are some images of Monogram's 1/32 scale M-48 A-2 Patton Tank. From Wikipedia "

The M48 Patton was the third and final US medium gun tank of the Patton series[2], named after General George S. Patton, commander of the U.S. Third Army[3] during World War II and one of the earliest American advocates for the use of tanks in battle. It was a further development of the M47 Patton tank. The M48 Patton served as an interim tank until replaced by the US Army's first Main Battle Tank (MBT), the M60 Combat Tank.[3] The M48 served as the U.S. Army and Marine Corps's primary battle tank during the Vietnam War. It was widely used by U.S. Cold War allies, especially other NATO countries.

The M48 Patton tank was designed to replace the previous M47 Pattons and M4 Shermans. Although largely resembling the M47, the M48 Patton was a completely new tank design. Some M48A5 models served well into the 1980s. Many various M48 Patton models remain in service internationally. The M48 was the last US tank to mount the 90mm tank gun, with the last model, the M48A5, being upgraded to carry the new standard weapon of the M60, the 105mm gun.

The Turkish Army is the largest operator of the modernized M48 MBT, with more than 1,400 M48s in its inventory (around 1000 have been phased out/in storage or modified to ARVs).


6 comments:

Pablo J. Álvarez said...

You are difficult to follow. How many post by day you can make? Jaja.
It is and old kits how i like it.
Monogram is my weak point, never could said enything bad about it.
I make my first 1/32 of Airfix in 1979...a Crusader. The old scale are the best. Good work

-Warren Zoell said...

Agreed! You can blame Tamiya for the 1/35 scale change.

-Warren Zoell said...

Pablo- I usually try to publish one post a day but sometimes I get bored so I post more.

Pat Tillett said...

I saw a lot of these tanks during my stint in the military. very familiar and realistic...

-Warren Zoell said...

Pat- I curious if you saw any Patton Zippo (flamethrower)versions of this tank While in Vietnam.

Pat Tillett said...

I remember hearing about them, but I don't think I saw one.