Translate

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dave Porter's Datsun 240 Z


Here is an image of Dave Porter's Revell 1/25 scale 1971 Datsun 240 Z. It's interesting but apparently when the main Datsun plant in Japan was ruined by a hurricane back in the 80's someone discovered that the word Datsun in an ancient form of their language means place of ruin. So as a result they changed their name to Nissan. Whether this is true or not I couldn't tell you but I figured I'd put it out there. Anyway here is Dave Porter in his own words the description of his model. "

Here is a 1/25 scale 1971 Datsun 240Z racer that was driven by John Morton. He won the SCCA “B” production championship for under 2.5 litre cars in 1971. Race tuned Z-cars are still competitive today. This model is by Revell and it required extensive rework to make it look decent. I vac-formed a new rear window and side windows because the kit pieces were much too thick. I lowered the suspension to better represent the real car. I added some wiring and plumbing under the hood, detailed the gauges, and added a race harness. I used Gunze and Tamiya acrylics as well as Testors metal colors to finish the car off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually owned one of these cars for 25 years. It was a lot of fun and it was a chic magnet too. Nissan has always been the Japanese moniker for the company. Datsun was the U.S. export name. I guess losing your plant over a bad luck name will give you reason to change.

Dave

-Warren Zoell said...

I stand corrected.

Anonymous said...

Warren, I not so sure you are wrong on that one. I'm curious enogh to research it.

Dave