Translate

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Flying Wing





Here are some images plus a composite of AMT's 1/72 scale Northrop XB 35 flying wing prototype bomber. From Wikipedia "The Northrop XB-35 and YB-35 were experimental heavy bomber aircraft developed for the United States Army Air Forces during and shortly after World War II by the Northrop Corporation. It used the radical and potentially very efficient flying wing design, in which the tail section and fuselage are eliminated and all payload is carried in a thick wing. Only prototype and pre-production aircraft were built, although interest remained strong enough to warrant further development of the aircraft as a jet bomber, under the designation YB-49.


7 comments:

Neil said...

The model reminds me very much of the flying wing featured in the movie "Indiana Jones" - which apparently was based in part on a Northrop Prototype.

Echolight Studio said...

cripes! exactly how many models do you have? 8)

space rental must be getting expensive...

-Warren Zoell said...

Neil- That airplane from Indiana Jones was very cool, I wish they would have released a model kit of it.Sheldon- I couldn't guess how many I've built. I do have to pack some away once in a while to create room.

Pablo J. Álvarez said...

Great, a flying wing without computers. One of my favourites.

-Warren Zoell said...

One of my favorites as well.

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic!

Can you tell me what sort of paint you used to achieve that bare aluminum look? I was planning on building this exact kit.

-Warren Zoell said...

All I used at the time if I recall was a Tamiya Chrome Silver acrylic.